Laredo Jurisdiction: From a Village to a "Villa"

In 1.065 the County of Castile became independent. Firstly, Castile joined to Leon but they separated again.

 

At the end of 12th century, the king of Castile, Alfonso VIII, built ports on his kingdom’s coast, with a commercial and military purpose. Several coast towns received “fueros” which attracted population to settle down there because living in one of these “fueros” meant having tax privileges. These towns were called “villas”.

 

Laredo was one of these “villas” and in 1,200 it obtained its jurisdiction (“fuero”): a set of benefits and an extensive jurisdiction, which brought a population, economic and urban growth. The new “villas” with “fuero” became to depend exclusively on the king, not having above them any Lord or Monastery. This situation was a great advantage both, the citizens and the King, who had greater military control over the territory without Lords or intermediary monasteries. Alfonso VII’s grandson would use this power and changed Laredo forever.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

  • BALDOMERO BRÍGIDO, CASADO SOTO, FERNANDO HIERRO "TEXTOS Y LÁMINAS DE LA HISTORIA DE LAREDO". COLECCIÓN PRIVADA. ​
  • ROSA MARÍA DE TORO MIRANDA, "LA VILLA DE LAREDO EN LA EDAD MEDIA (1.200-.1516); ORÍGENES, ESPACIO URBANO Y POBLACIÓN".
  • ISABEL ORDIERES, "REHABILITAR LA PUEBLA DE LAREDO; PATRIMONIO, MEMORIA Y HABITABILIDAD". UNIVERSIDAD DE ALCALÁ Y AYUNTAMIENTO DE LAREDO.
Versión para imprimir Versión para imprimir | Mapa del sitio
© Diego De Vallejo Pérez