St. Martin; Laredo ´s origin

At the dawn of the Middle Ages Laredo was a village whose population worked at farming and fishing. In 1068, several cabins were scattered around a church with a cemetery, dedicated to San Martín. Medieval towns usually grew up around a monastery. San Martín de Laredo depended on the monastery of Santa María de Puerto, in Santoña, which was the most important of the area. Simultaneously, the latter depended on another monastery from more important regions, such as that of Nájera. The Laredoans worked and paid their taxes to the monastery of Santoña on the other side of the bay, outside of political intrigues of the Castilla County, a territory that oscillated between the kingdoms of León and Pamplona. Laredo was also part of a Spanish medieval administrative unit called Merindad de Vecio: formed by “juntas”. Laredo belonged to the Junta de Seña.

 

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

  • BALDOMERO BRÍGIDO, CASADO SOTO, FERNANDO HIERRO "TEXTOS Y LÁMINAS DE LA HISTORIA DE LAREDO". COLECCIÓN PRIVADA. ​
  • ROSA MARÍA DE TORO MIRANDA, "LA VILLA DE LAREDO EN LA EDAD MEDIA (1.200-.1516); ORÍGENES, ESPACIO URBANO Y POBLACIÓN".
  • ISABEL ORDIERES, "REHABILITAR LA PUEBLA DE LAREDO; PATRIMONIO, MEMORIA Y HABITABILIDAD". UNIVERSIDAD DE ALCALÁ Y AYUNTAMIENTO DE LAREDO.
Versión para imprimir Versión para imprimir | Mapa del sitio
© Diego De Vallejo Pérez